We catch up with furniture designer Amelia Widell and founder of MELIMELI to talk about why she set up her company and the ideas behind her brand. All MELIMELI furniture pieces are exclusively stocked in the UK by us here at Att Pynta
Below is the stunning MELI MELI Stockholm showroom with a selection of her velvet furniture designs
The idea for MELI MELI was born when Amelia, who has several years of experience as an interior designer, discovered that it was virtually impossible to find a sofa that had her desired look, comfort with an affordable price tag
Tell us more about how you came up with the idea of MeliMeli?
– Struggling to find that perfect sofa I saw a gap in the market, that was the driving force that made me want to design my own. I wanted to design something that appealed to as many people as possible and it was important to me that the products felt exclusive but also comfortable. You should want to spend a lot of time on your sofa with friends and family and not be too scared of using it!
The company was originally meant to be a side project for Amelia, who worked as an interior designer, photographer and scenographer but today the company is her full time job.
– I spent a lot of time looking at different sofa models from all over the world and tried to find what I thought appealed to people in their surroundings. Interior design and decor has now become more trend-led, I felt that furniture could be seen more like 'it-pieces' so I tried to create the 'it-sofas'
The range which includes sofas, armchairs and ottomans, are available in seven beautiful hues of Italian velvet, a material she believes is timeless and also ages beautifully.
– I feel like velvet enhances that bohemian, artistic aesthetic that I like. It has an exclusive and luxurious feel like no other fabric.
Tell us about the idea behind the Flora ottoman?
– I love flowers and have even given several of the products floral names. The playful design was inspired by the flowers and plants I surround myself with in my home
Where do you draw your inspiration from?
– One of my biggest sources of inspiration has been to look at homes from all over the world. I like homes where the furniture takes centre stage and given the space to stand out
All your sofas only have one seating cushion for extra comfort. What made you make that decision?
– Only having on seating cushion makes the sofas more aesthetically pleasing, as well as much more comfortable as there is no divide between the cushions. Nobody wants to sit in the divide bit!
Which style is your personal favourite at the moment?
– Right now it's definitely the Dahlia. It's a bit deeper than the other sofas and I just love to curl up on my one at the end of a long day.
What is your best interior design tip?
– Try to figure out what you really like instead of just following trends. Pinterest is a very good tool for that.
We love Amelia's use of bold splashes of colour in her home (as seen below) The painted walls are offset by neutral hues of wooden floors and white woodwork. The large windows make it very light, highlighting the electrifying velvet textures and colourful accessories inside. The dream home!
Amelia's flat as seen in ELLE Decoration UK / Photographer Andrea Papini / Styling Saša Antic